City of Roseburg
Roseburg, OR United States
Performs professional research and writing relating to current and long-range planning programs, special projects and studies. Assists in receiving and analyzing land use applications, preparing written staff reports and recommendations on those applications and presenting recommendations to public decision-making bodies.
Works under the direction of the Community Development Director or designee.
Supervision of employees may be required of persons in this position.
The following information is not all-inclusive.
- May coordinate citizen involvement activities including public meetings, neighborhood meetings and meetings associated with infrastructure.
- Provides information and advises the public concerning effects of City Ordinance requirements and City policies on the use of property.
- Analyzes individual land use applications for conformance with City Ordinance requirements and policies; prepares written evaluation.
- Assists in developing grant proposals for the City to initiate new programs.
- Conducts various special studies and projects as assigned by the Community Development Director or designee.
- Provides staff support to public bodies including presentations to commissions and committees during work sessions and public hearings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of City planning principles, practices and trends.
- Knowledge of research methodology and statistical techniques and ability to apply both to planning issues.
- Knowledge of Land Use and Development Ordinance and other related planning ordinances.
- Knowledge of legal practices and terminology as applied to City planning.
- Reasonable knowledge of supervisory and administrative principles and practices.
- Knowledge surrounding the use of GIS software programs.
- Familiarity with engineering principles at City scale and project scale.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret complex legal and regulatory information.
- Ability to analyze data and produce reports.
- Ability to work with members of the public in a professional consistent manner.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in written form.
- Ability to form input and extract data from computers.
- Regular attendance and punctuality.
- Speak and act truthfully.
- Conduct oneself with integrity, morality, character, and trustworthiness.
- Exhibit self-control.
- Thorough when completing work tasks.
- Accept supervision and constructive criticism.
- Reliable, responsible, and dependable.
- Willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Independence of action within industry standards and departmental guidelines is stressed.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Education and experience requirements listed are minimum standards. Other equivalent combinations of education, certifications, training, and experience may be considered.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in urban planning or closely related field.
Experience: Two years of experience in land use planning.
Any satisfactory combination of course work, experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may substitute for the above.
The City of Roseburg is committed to complying fully with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Oregon’s Disability Accommodation and Discrimination laws. We are also committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. The City of Roseburg will make reasonable efforts to accommodate a qualified applicant or employee with a known disability, unless such accommodation creates an undue hardship on the City of Roseburg’s operations, or a safety risk to employee or coworkers, or removes an essential job function. Employees should request an accommodation as soon as it becomes apparent that a reasonable accommodation may be necessary, to enable the employee to perform the essential duties of a position, or to participate in the employment process. To discuss an accommodation request, please contact John VanWinkle, Human Resource Director.
While performing the duties of this job; work is performed primarily indoors in mostly office settings, with a noise level that is usually quiet; at times work may be performed outside with a noise level and weather which may vary. May require bending, hearing voice and telephone conversation, seeing, keyboarding, sitting and standing for extended periods of time. May be required to perform a full range of motion with lifting and/or carrying supplies, materials, equipment and/or items weighing up to 25 pounds.
The factors described herein, are representative of, but not all-inclusive of, those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform as an Associate Planner.