City of North Plains
North Plains, OR United States
By joining our team, the Planning Manager has the opportunity to work on a large array of interesting projects and developments. Our small but talented staff of 25 City employees throughout five departments are proud to serve in an open, supportive, and flexible environment where we work to provide services, solutions, and outcomes that help our community to thrive. North Plains is a small, growing semi-rural city 17 miles west of Downtown Portland on the edge of Oregon’s innovative Silicon Forest, and less than an hour from the Oregon Coast. With over 3,400 residents and 160 businesses, our gradual and thoughtful growth over the years has helped to maintain a friendly, small-town atmosphere. Residents enjoy the benefits of a well-managed inventory of improved streets, parks, bike/pedestrian infrastructure, and water systems, as well as easy access to major employers, recreation, entertainment, and nature. The City and URA are investing in the commercial core with a goal of becoming a complete community, and the right planner will be essential in helping the City achieve this goal. We support our employees and are looking for an enthusiastic individual to be part of our team.
Under general direction of the City Manager, administers current and long range planning activities, including serving as project manager for complex development applications; reviews and assesses significant portions of the Comprehensive Plan and/or Community Development Code; provides information and assistance to property owners, developers, contractors, and the public; provides complex professional assistance to the City Manager, the City Council, the Planning Commission, and others in areas of expertise; serves as staff to the Planning Commission; oversees, reviews and performs a variety of studies and prepares and presents staff reports; and performs related work as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Reviews and analyzes development applications and plans. Prepares research reports, plans, maps, and charts related to short- and long-range comprehensive planning, zoning, permits and community development. Confers with developers and the public in both office and field locations. Makes presentations to Planning Commission and City Council regarding plans and ordinance amendments, conditional uses, rezones, etc.
- Provides general and technical information and interprets planning laws, ordinances and codes for land developers, general public, and other City staff. Receives input from citizens and assesses public opinion on planning matters. Administers zoning ordinances and makes recommendations to Planning Commission as appropriate.
- Prepares grant application forms and administers grants awarded to City as assigned. Works with staff team(s) to prepare requests for proposals, review consultant qualifications, negotiate contracts, prepare budgets and track expenses. Prepares work programs and timelines, reviews consultant work, prepares progress reports and other similar tasks associated with completing the required work program.
- Serves as a project manager in the development of short- and long-range plans as assigned through the approval process, prepares reports and related data as required.
- Develops plans and assists in developing policies and guidelines to direct community growth.
- Assigns US Postal Service addresses to new development construction
- Identifies community’s attractors and liabilities as it pertains to planning, and makes recommendations to amend department’s programs and policies appropriately.
- Performs major work toward implementation of City plans and policies with State and regional planning agencies, including evaluation and preparing reports on the relationship of existing City policies and regulations to State and regional planning goals, policies, and regulations.
- Manages and participates in large planning projects involving considerable interaction with developers, agencies, civic groups and special interests. Provides direct project supervision over planning support staff.
- Reviews development proposals, working with the customer to complete a land use solution that complies with laws and regulations in an expedited process.
- Maintains City’s GIS database.
- Provides primary staff support to the Planning Commission and support to various other commissions and committees, including City Council, as needed and assigned.
- Attends meetings and hearings with official and public groups and contributes to such with discussions and presentation of materials, as assigned or appropriate.
- Assists city staff in the enforcement of local ordinances and in interpreting city codes and master plans. Responds to local citizens inquiring about local planning and zoning regulations and ordinances.
- Serves as a member of various staff committees as assigned. Attends professional development workshops and conferences to keep abreast of trends and developments in the field of municipal planning.
Bi-lingual candidates, especially those speaking Spanish or Hindi, are highly desired and encouraged to apply.
The City has a Remote Work Policy (RWP) and some remote work flexibility is allowed.
To apply visit https://www.northplains.org/citymanager/page/planning-manager. For questions, call 503.647.5555. First review of applications will be June 1, 2022.