City of Redmond
Redmond, OR United States
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
This position works in Community Development Department – Planning, under supervision to perform a variety of professional and technical duties related to supporting the City’s planning programs. The position exercises independent judgement and initiative in administering the City’s land use regulations and to advance the City Master Plans.
Responsibilities include: administering land use regulations; processing land use applications; site plan review; analysis, interpretation, and presentation of technical land use, zoning, and other planning data; managing or providing support for Redmond’s commissions and committees, and hearing bodies; and helping staff, elected officials, and the public to be better informed on planning related topics.
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in land-use planning, urban planning, landscape architecture or related field, and two (2) years of work experience in municipal planning; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of planning practices and procedures; correct and effective use of grammar, business technical writing, spelling, and punctuation. Writing skills to prepare reports, technical, and procedural documentation.
- Understand and execute oral and written instructions; express ideas and convey information accurately and effectively, orally and in writing; establish priorities and organize own workload; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, public and private offices, and the general public; and effective meeting etiquette.
- Knowledge of computer systems and software including: Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Acrobat, and virtual meeting platforms.
- Ability to conduct research, gather information and execute outbound inquiry calls.
Possession of, or required to obtain, within thirty (30) days from date of hire, a valid Oregon driver’s license. Must have a safe driving record.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Planning, Public Administration, or related field;
- Three (3) years verifiable work experience in City/County government setting;
- Three (3) verifiable land use projects of limited range;
- Any combination of education and experience which would provide the applicant with the skills, knowledge, and ability required to perform the job.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to conduct detailed research and analysis projects; competency in performing research, compiling information, conducting analyses, and composing comprehensive and detailed land use planning reports.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of urban, community development, or natural resource planning.
- Skill in the application of computerized and non-computerized analytical methods and techniques to such information and data.
- Relations skills to deal effectively with customers and co-workers to enforce policy, and to conduct formal presentations to a variety of groups and individuals.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing ideas and information to a variety of audiences, in a clear, comprehensible, effective, and professional manner.
- Ability to develop and maintain productive, amicable relationships with community groups, officials, other City departments, and the general public.
- Sufficient visual acuity to read letters, numbers, and detailed maps; hearing and speaking ability to conduct formal presentations to large audiences; hand eye coordination to operate common business equipment such as personal computers.
Work is performed under the general supervision of the Principle Planner, Planning Manager, or Planning Director, who holds the employee accountable for achieving Planning Division goals and objectives.
This position is not a supervisory position. Employee may assist in direction, guidance, or training in operational procedures to other employees.
Applications due by Friday, December 17th.